4K resolution means watching content at a quality higher than Full HD. In full HD video playback, you can watch up to 1080p videos and is restricted to 1080 rows and 1920 columns whereas in 4K you can watch with enhanced 3840 columns and 2160 rows. So, you can say the content quality almost gets 4 times in 4K video playback.
What is required?
You will need the below mentioned 5 things for watching 4K UHD content on the TV screen.
- Roku player that can play 4K content.
- HDTV with 4K playback support and HDMI ports.
- High-speed internet connection with large bandwidth.
- Apps like Netflix or Hulu with 4K valid subscriptions taken on the Roku account.
- A high-quality HDMI cable.
HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2
For enjoying 4K content on Roku player, the TV ought to support HDMI 2 or HDCP 2.2. All the ports like AV/TV and other devices connected in-between must support 4K otherwise, the video will auto changed to a lower resolution. If we talk about HDCP 2.2, it is a copy and content protection standard which is utmost required for movie industry. If you have a TV that is more than 3 years old, then it may or may not support HDCP with single HDMI port only.
Audio and video connections
After taking all the necessary items into possession, you now need to connect the Roku through the steps mentioned here as under. You can directly connect the Roku stick to the HDMI port of the TV, if no cable is available.
- Connect your Roku to the TV directly if it supports 4k playback through HDMI input.
- Connect to the soundbar through HDMI switching. For this, you will have to connect the Roku player to the HDMI on AVR that will playback UHD content.
- Now connect the output of the AVR or soundbar to the HDMI cable whose one end is connected to the HDMI port of the TV itself that can play 4K quality content.
- Connecting through ARC, if there is an audio return channel available, then connect the Roku to the HDMI with HDCP 2.2 support on it.
- Don’t forget to get a premium HDMI cable for ARC HDMI port. If you have a soundbar with ARC support, then connect the HDMI cable to the soundbar. You must ensure that both soundbar and TV should support HDMI only after this, you can move forward to connecting the Roku Com Activate.
Setup: After the connections get successfully established, you can go ahead to turn on the Roku player. Read all the instructions on-screen and setup accordingly.
What are the sources from where you can play 4K UHD content?
The best and reliable source from where you can easily find the 4K content is the Roku channel store. Here, you need to click on the link ‘4K content’. All the TV shows and movies available in 4K quality will be displayed on the screen. You can download the channels as per your convenience.